Planned Giving - Wills, Estates, & Bequests
You love animals – their compassion and loyalty – and you know how fortunate animals are when humans step in to lend a hand and a voice when it is needed most. With thoughtful gift planning, you can continue to make a difference for the animals at the Humane Society for Southwest Washington (HSSW) even after your lifetime.
It takes a substantial amount of resources to run and maintain HSSW. Community support is vital to ensuring that our organization continues to thrive and be a community resource for many more years to come.
Join the St. Francis Circle today and leave a meaningful legacy of love beyond your lifetime. In thanks and recognition of caring philanthropists who have HSSW in their estate plans through wills, trusts, charitable trusts, charitable gift annuities, or other planned gifts, HSSW established the St. Francis Circle. Gifts like these provide care and services for thousands of homeless animals each year while they wait for us to find them homes of their own. Because of your generous support HSSW continues to be the safety net for lost and abandoned companion animals in our community.
A planned gift can be long-remembered testimony to your support of HSSW and your desire that it will carry on its purpose after you are gone.
Some of the ways to honor HSSW’s mission include:
- Naming HSSW as a beneficiary in your will or revocable living trust
- Creating a charitable trust
- A gift of real estate
- Your real property may be gifted to our organization by executing or signing a deed transferring ownership. You may deed part or all of your real property to our organization. Your gift will generally be based on the property's fair market value, which must be established by an independent appraisal
- Making a gift of cash or appreciated securities to establish a charitable gift annuity
- A gift of appreciated securities can have a variety of potential benefits such as avoidance of capital gains tax, a charitable income tax deduction, and possible increased income.
- Naming HSSW as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or retirement account
- A retirement asset, such as an IRA account, makes an excellent bequest to us. If the IRA were given to your family, much of the value may be lost through estate and income taxes. By designating a charity as the beneficiary of all or part of your IRA, the full value of the gift is transferred tax-free at your death and your estate receives an estate tax charitable deduction.
Your retirement assets may be transferred to HSSW by completing a beneficiary designation form provided by your plan custodian.
Benefits of Your Gift:
- Receive an estate tax deduction
- Receive an income tax deduction
- Lessen the burden of taxes on your family
- Leave a lasting legacy
If you are considering becoming a St. Francis Circle member, then the essential information you will need to give your attorney is as follows:
- Organization's Name: Humane Society for Southwest Washington
- Organization's Address: 1100 NE 192nd Ave., Vancouver, WA 98684
- Organization's Phone and Fax: 360.693.4746 / 360.693.2338
- Organization's Tax ID: 91-0759124
- Organization's Contact: Director of Development and Communication, 360.213.2615 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have already remembered HSSW in your estate plan, please contact us so we can confirm you are a member of our St. Francis Circle. Contact our Director of Development and Communication at email@example.com or 360.213.2615 for more information.