Walk/Run for the Animals is May 1, 2021! Celebrate the love animals bring to your life while being safe and socially-distanced at Walk/Run for the Animals!
Help the Humane Society for Southwest Washington care for animals in need. Register to walk a route around downtown at your own time and pace, run a 5K and submit your time online, or set up a fundraising page and earn awesome prizes! Both runners and walkers will receive an event bag as well as a custom 30 year anniversary commemorative medal!
More details on Walk/Run 2021 coming soon.
Stay tuned--but register now!
Q. What do I need to bring with me to the Walk/Run?
- Masks will be required for all staff, volunteers, sponsors, partners, and event participants. All participants must be distanced 6 feet apart from other participants outside of their group and wait their turn to visit the business or booth.
- Cash and check donations and your Donation Tracker form with your donor information.
- Your wallet. A few of the stops on the route are restaurants. Stop and take a break for lunch or a beverage!
- Six-foot or shorter leash (not an “extend-a-leash”) and dog waste bags if you are bringing your dog.
Q. Where does the path go?
A. This year, walkers will have the option to start and stop at any of the route locations. It is a circular path through the heart of downtown Vancouver. Map coming soon!
The running path can be wherever you choose! Run where you want or the old Walk/Run route. Track your time and submit it online through our timing company.
Q. Where should I go when I get there?
A. Start wherever you choose on the route. Each location will be participating in the event from 9 am-3 pm. Go to all the stops or pick where you want to go. It's up to you!
Q. Can I attend the Walk/Run if I don’t want to bring a pet?
A. Everyone is welcome at the Walk/Run for Animals. Plenty of attendees either do not own pets or have pets that stay home. If you’re a cat lover, consider walking in honor of your cat by pinning a photo of your cat to your shirt. For safety reasons, for both you, dogs and cats, we ask that cats stay at home.
Q. What kind of leash can I use?
A. All dogs must be kept on a leash at all times. Leashes should be no more than six feet in length while on the course. Flexi-leads or “extend-a leashes” are NOT allowed.
Q. What vaccines does my dog need to participate?
A. While we don't require you to bring proof of vaccinations, we do request your dog be current with the following:
- Distemper/Parvo combo, Bordatella, and Rabies
- A current license
Q. Can I bring my bike or roller blades? What about my baby stroller?
A. Bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, etc. are prohibited for safety reasons. Baby strollers are permitted.
Q. What if my dog goes to the bathroom?
A. We hope you’ll take Walk/Run as an opportunity to practice responsible pet guardianship and clean up after your pet! We will have some waste bags at the different route stops, but please bring your own as well. Help us model what it means to be a respectful animal lover living amongst others, cleaning up after your pet helps everyone on the course.
Schedule of Events | May 1, 2021
Due to COVID-19 restrictions and the safety of our community, this year's Walk/Run for the Animals will practice social distancing. All locations on the map will be open and ready for participants at 9 am. Begin your walk then or wait until later in the day. The booths at each location will end at 3 pm.
Run a 5K wherever you are! In your neighborhood, at a park, or even the old Walk/Run for the Animals route. Make sure you track your time and submit it online through our timing company. More details on the run and submitting your time here.
Same event, different style. All for the dogs and cats!
Courses are dog and kid-friendly. Masks will be required for all staff, volunteers, sponsors, partners, and event participants. All participants must be distanced 6 feet apart from other participants outside of their group and wait their turn to visit the business or booth.
A circular route through the heart of downtown Vancouver. More details to come!
This year's run will be virtual! What does that mean? That means you can run a 5K anywhere you'd like and submit your time via a web form, text, or email. The submitted results will be posted by gender and age group rankings that you can view after you run. Run with your dog and submit photos with your results! We'd love to see them!
- A week prior to the event you will receive an email with your race bib and instructions on how to submit results.
- When the race officially starts on Monday, April 26, you will receive an email and text message welcoming you to the race.
- The period to complete your run or walk is between Monday, April 26 and end of day Saturday, May 1.
- Submission of your race results can be done via web form or text message.
- When submitting your results, you will have the option to include a link to you Strava or Garmin Connect activity. If you do this, your results will be marked as Verified. If you don't have one of these apps, you can install Strava from your phone's app store and run with your phone.
- When you report your results, you will be able to upload photos of your race to go into the Official Race Photo gallery.
Race results will be produced and ranked online in the following categories: overall, gender, and age group.
Our sponsors are incredible - they care about the dogs and cats in our community and they really know how to show it!
Thomas A. Plein Foundation
Main Event Sports Grill
VCA Animal Hospitals
Allied Fastening Supply, Inc.
Tito's Handmade Vodka
Marketing & Events Coordinator
[email protected] or 360-213-2614