We Love Volunteers.
Make a Difference Today.
We care for more than 8,000 animals annually and couldn't do it without our incredible community of 500 volunteers! From animal care and enrichment, to administrative support, assisting with adoptions, or lending a hand at ReTails Thrift Store our volunteers make an enormous difference in completing families every day.
Available Volunteer Positions
Volunteers are recruited based on specific needs, and these needs vary over time. Our community loves animals, and we frequently receive more requests to volunteer than we have positions available.
Volunteer at opportunities at the Adoption Center & Shelter come in lots of shapes and sizes. Whether you're looking for opportunities to work directly with the animals or We currently have the greatest need in the following areas:
- Dog Walking - Dogs at HSSW receive regular walks outside on our walking path. It's quality time with the dogs doing what they love best - getting out for a walk!
- Cat Care - Cat care provides the essentials for the feline residents of HSSW: feeding, cleaning, and (of course) some grateful pats on the head and happy purrs.
- Laundry & Dishes - It seems like a never-ending cycle (and sometimes it is!) at HSSW. Keeping us well stocked with dishes, blankets and bedding
Not sure if the positions above are the right fit for you? No problem! Register to volunteer and you can explore other opportunities.
Foster volunteers provide lifesaving care to animals who need time away from the shelter. Animals may require foster support for a number of reasons
- Young animals - very young animals need regular care and are typically more medically fragile than adult animals. For puppies and kittens, foster placement helps ensure they are healthy, safe, and socialized until they can be adopted.
- Medical cases - for animals recovering from surgery and other medical concerns, foster placement is a great way to ensure they have the care they need in a reduced-stress environment. Most animals seeking foster for medical reasons are easily cared for and fosters receive support and training from our team.
- Behavior support - Shelters can be stressful places for some animals, and taking a break with a foster is a great way to decompress. Foster placement is not only more enriching, it also helps reduce and prevent the occurrence of unwanted behaviors that may result from shelter stress.
Foster placement is a great way to help all year round, and is most important during the spring, summer, and fall months when kittens are in need of care. Fostering kittens is also a great way to get the whole family involved - especially kids!
ReTails Thrift Store
ReTails is more than just a thrift store, it's an experience! ReTails is the destination for clothing bargains, vintage items, home furnishings, holiday decor and so much more. But we can only do it with the help of our incredible volunteers!
We have immediate openings in the following volunteer positions:
- Department Specialists provide customer service and assist with sorting, repairing and organizing merchandise in one of ReTails many departments which include Apparel, Books, Linens, Electronics, Kitchen, Garden, Holiday, Jewelry, and more.
- ReTails Greeters ensure customers feel welcome, answer questions, and provide directions and information.
- Merchandising Volunteers assist with merchandise intake, sorting, and pricing. Volunteer shifts and qualifications vary based on the assignment.
If you're interested in joining our volunteer team and making a difference in the lives of the animals, we're ready to welcome you to our team!
To volunteer at HSSW, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be able to commit to a six-month term with two hours of service per week.
- Meet the requirements and scheduling availability for your chosen volunteer position.
- Complete all required training prior to starting your volunteer service.
If you meet the requirements above and are ready to join us as a volunteer, click the link below. Please complete the questionnaire including contact information, areas of interest and special skills. If you are a new user, you'll need to create an account.
We think Volunteering at HSSW is a great way to help animals in need. We're not the only ones! Hear from some HSSW volunteers about why they give their time and talent to support the animals.
Video courtesy of Cole McLester Productions.
An Award Winning Volunteer Program
HSSW is pleased to be certified by Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, as a Service Enterprise!
Achieving Service Enterprise certification is a prestigious accomplishment for an organization. In fact, organizations that certify join the top 11 percent of nonprofits nationwide in volunteer management and organizational performance. Certification signifies that organizations have the capability and management expertise to strategically utilize volunteers to improve the performance of their organization. HSSW is proud to be the only certified Service Enterprise in the Pacific Northwest.